Friday, December 28, 2012

The Joys of the Vinyl Record


According to John Harris of the Guardian the good old vinyl record is making a comeback. I cannot think why!


Vinyl records? They may be acceptable if re mastered but I find listening to my old, original vinyl records excruciating. Apart from the thrill of hearing the needle hit the black disc, if that is what turns you on, what follows is out of this world, scratch, hiss and if recorded live especially with classical music with live performances unbearable by modern standards.

I discovered this by accident recently when I re-listened to my late husband's favorite operatic soprano singing the 'Liebestod' from the famous Solti recording of 'Tristan & Isolde'. I couldn't believe my ears. Poor woman was tired and the last note today would be considered unacceptable. The balance was awful and the orchestra tired too. Yet at the time this recording was acclaimed as the epitome of performance. 

All live recordings have this balance problem in classical music. 

Even studio recorded music has a hiss and crackles on vinyl as this is part of the charm!

The modern ears have changed. I should not believe it but mine have too. I can hear wrong notes, moved chairs and pianos with pedal squeaks. I do sound 'grumpy' but I am not. It is just the way it is.

No give me digital mastered studio recordings any time.

I just use my vast vinyl collection for research and it does look attractive on my shelves.

This is not the Solti recording but does include a dropped hammar at around 1.17! I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment