Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Wombles a tale of sadness for the creator Elizabeth Beresford



I meet Elizabeth Beresford, the creator of The Wombles a long time ago in Alderney where she lived. I was in the process of selling a creative idea to a huge USA cartoon firm and the BBC.

She was very disillusioned with her Womble experience and told me all the money had gone in court cases. She was quite bitter and I don't blame her. When I received the 58 page contract from the US I saw what she meant. I only got paid after everyone else. My animal is still in the attic! They were offering just US $1000. When I demurred and said it was worth more than that they told me that Walt Disney never paid more than $1,000 for Peter Pan, Mary Poppins and Winnie the Poo. I declined their offer.

She gave me a signed book and was absolutely delightful. Financial success or not I am so glad she created The Wombles.



No comments:

Post a Comment